Tuesday, May 22, 2012

What I Have in Common With Ke$ha


So I am writing a series of three posts right now that I hope to be REALLY good. If they aren't, then I expect you all to lie to me and tell me they are amazing anyway. So the "series" is coming along kind of slowly unfortunately. It's not that I have hit a writer's block, I'm just trying really hard to word them in the best possible way. An unfortunate side effect: I've been working on the first for three days and it's still nowhere near being done. Realizing that I am starting to fall behind on blogging, I decided that I must write another post to explain myself.

But, because I don't want this to be a boring post, I also have decided to include the one thing that Ke$ha and I have in common. (no, it isn't that we poop glitter - they have still yet to prove that she in fact can actually do that. Score one team Indi) Before I tell you what this strange characteristic is that we share, I must first tell you a story. And yes, it does pertain to the point so just bare with me.

See, she simply blows glitter all up in the air making it impossible for
people to breathe... Thanks Ke$ha for contributing to Asthma. 

As I have mentioned before, the summer between my junior and senior year in high school was spent earning college credits at two different programs on two different college campuses. This story takes place at the first campus. One of the classes that I took during these three weeks was An Introductory to Visual Art taught by (let's call him Glenn...mainly because his name is Glenn) Glenn. This Visual Arts class was tough I will tell you that right now. We not only had to learn how to analyze art and make our own art, but we had to analyze our own art! If there is one thing harder than giving a reason for why a dead guy used blue instead of orange, it is giving a reason for why you used blue instead of orange!

I tried my hardest in this class. I really did. Unfortunately, Glenn didn't think that was good enough. It seemed that everything I attempted ended in me being scolded. Whether I did not have the right flow within hair, or I didn't do the correct assignment, this class was a train wreck.

One day when I was working really hard on trying to draw a circle, Glenn pulled me out into the hallway. He looked at me for a full minute before saying "Let's sit down for a quick chat..." We sat in the middle of the hallway and then Glenn bared his soul. "Indi, I'm not sure how to tell you this. And trust me I have thought long and hard about whether I should or not, but I have finally decided it is the only fair way to proceed. Indi, the talent is just not there. And don't get me wrong, you're a lovely student, but I've worked so hard to do something with your abilities, and when you don't have any abilities, then there is nothing to be done. So here is what I am going to do: because you have such a good attitude, as long as you finish most of your assignments, I will give you an A... I'm so sorry Indi."

This was the most awkward and happy half-conversation of my life. I honestly had to make myself stop smiling and look crushed. I think Glenn felt like he had just killed a kitten and watched it be brought back to life before killing it eight more times.

As much as I appreciated the "go-ahead" to not try the rest of the class, I decided that it was still kind of a really mean thing to say. I mean who says that I can't be a real artist one day?? Hmm. WELL, MR GLENN, I would love for you to know that not only are all three of my major art pieces hanging in my house, they are also published on the internet as of 5/22/12. SO HA!!! TAKE THAT!!!!

My first and favorite piece. Twisted

My political piece: Not A Tree of Life: A Plea Against Nuclear Warfare

My final and Social plea piece (also known as the piece after I found out I don't have to try)
Freaked

OH!! And if you're still wondering what I have in common with Ke$ha, the answer is that the talent is just not there. (Sorry Ke$ha! I really kinda can stand your "music" on occasion if my ears are plugged! I promise! So don't hate me!)

No comments:

Post a Comment